COMMEMORATION OF THE 82ND YEKATIT 12 MARTYRS DAY ANNIVERSARY
The commemoration of the 82nd Yekatit 12 Martyrs Day anniversary regarding the massacre of one million Ethiopians by Fascist Italians including the 30,000 killed in Addis Ababa during February 19-21, 1937 has taken place in various cities of which we have had a confirmation from the following:
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
- Rome, Italy;
- Pretoria, South Africa;
- Vancouver, Canada;
- Harare, Zimbabwe;
- Tampa, USA;
- Washington, DC, USA;
- Denver, Colorado, USA;
- Silver Spring, Mary Land, USA;
- Aurora, Colorado, USA;
- Tampa, Florida, USA;
- Houston, Texas, USA;
- Dallas, Texas, USA;
- New York, USA;
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA;
- New York, New York, USA.
We are confident that numerous other cities have commemorated the event in the same and other countries. What have been unique in the context of the 82nd event include:
- The commemoration of the event in Rome with the collaboration among
the Ethiopian Embassy, ANPI (National Association of Italian Partiasans);
FARI (Federation of the Assembly of the Assembly of RasTafarians in Italy);
ECAT (Ethiop9an Community Association in Italy);EXODUS (Ethiopian Cultural Service);
- The meeting arranged by the Ethiopian Community Association in Vancouver with the Italian Consul General who responded positively to the struggle for justice for Ethiopia;
- The arrangement of the event by community associations in a number of cities including Atlanta, New York and Vancouver;
- The additional number of signatures obtained for the petition presented on the Alliance’s website (Global Alliance for Justice – The Ethiopian Cause) calling on the Vatican to apologize to the Ethiopian people for its complicity with Fascist Italy’s war crimes.
The Alliance continues with its struggle for justice so that Ethiopia would achieve the remuneration as well as the restitution it deserves for the huge war crimes it suffered by Italy during 1935-41 and the Vatican’s apology to the Ethiopian people for its complicity with Fascist Italy. The Alliance also hopes that the United Nations would accord a recognition of the Italian war crime in Ethiopia including the one million Ethiopians massacred, the looting of huge quantities of Ethiopian properties, the destruction of 2,000 churches, 525,000 homes and 14 million animals and the recent establishment of a mausoleum for the Fascist Italian, Rodolfo Graziani.
It is pleasing to note that an Italian court has passed a verdict against those responsible for the establishment of the mausoleum for the Fascist Italian “butcher of Ethiopia”, Rodolfo Graziani.
The Alliance expresses its appreciation and thanks to all those who commemorated the 82nd anniversary of the Yekatit 12 Martyrs Day event, especially those in Rome, Italy and expresses the hope that, with the help of the Almighty, Ethiopia would achieve its well deserved objective.